The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has invited proposals from academics in tertiary institutions that have feasible research ideas, capable of replacing or enhancing foreign technologies in the telecommunications in Nigeria.
It is envisaged that the initiative will help build capacity in the tertiary institutions and promote Nigeria’s contribution to the pool of technologies in use in the communications industry.
NCC has the mandate to supports telecommunications-based innovations and research from tertiary institutions in the country that are practical, locally realizable and have clear potential of developing the telecommunications industry.
Areas of research the proposal is expected to focus on include, innovative clean energy Technology, 5G deployment in Nigeria, Internet of Thing ( IoT) Low Power Wide Area Network (WAN) Technology, advanced method of Quality of Service (QoS)/Quality of Experience Management and test mechanism and monitoring and localisation of drones.
Interested researchers are required to submit their proposals which must:
• Come from teaching Academics in Nigeria’s tertiary institutions; and
• Have a one-page executive summary of the research proposal to include relevance of the research to the telecommunications industry, deliverables, and novelty of concept, methodology, team experience, project timeline and detailed cost schedule.
The criteria for the evaluation of the research submissions include among others the following:
• The area must fall within the specified areas of research
• Adherence of proposal to stated requirements above
• Novelty of research proposal (comprehensive literature review to bring out clearly the novelty of the research).
Each project including prototype development must be concluded within 2 years and project cost should not exceed a maximum of twelve million naira (N12, 000,000.00) only.
Submission will undergo preliminary assessment. The proposals that are adjudged promising and capable of developing the Telecommunications industry will be further evaluated by another level of assessors.
Interested researchers are invited to submit both SOFT and HARD copies and CDs of their research proposals on or before 8 September 2020 to the address below. Please note that any proposal submitted after the deadline will be rejected automatically.
Other criteria set by the Commission are published on its website www.ncc.gov.ng