The seven deadly sins, also known as the capital vices or cardinal sins, is a grouping and classification of vices within Christian teachings.
Behaviours or habits are classified under this category if they directly give birth to other immoralities. According to the standard list, they are pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath and sloth, which are also contrary to the seven virtues.
These sins are often thought to be abuses or excessive versions of one’s natural faculties or passions (for example, gluttony abuses one’s desire to eat).
The Treasury Single Account (TSA), President Muhammadu Buhari’s signature policy has also gathered some sins that can be described as 7 Cardinal Sins of PMB’s TSA. They include the following:
- No clear policy ownership and absence of operational structure as exists for similar strategic national initiatives such as Integrated Payroll & Personnel Information System (IPPIS), Government Integrated Financial Management Information System (GIFMIS), Pension Transition Arrangement Department (PTAD), etc.)
2. Non-engagement or effective hand-holding of critical stakeholders on the implementation of the policy such as the Office of the Auditor General of the Federation, National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA), civil society organisations and the public.
3. Non-reconciliation of MDAs’ accounts and non-audit of the entire TSA operations for over two years with a N40 billion account debit discovered as at September 2017.
4. Inexplicable granting of exemptions, and non-sanction of non-compliant MDAs, which is contrary to extant rules and operational guidelines.
5. The continued non-payment of banks and other service providers of about N18.7 billion for the provision of nationwide revenue collection services for government for over two years.
6. The refusal to bring foreign exchange payments and revenue collections under TSA, which is contrary to the original design of having a single view of all government revenues and expenditures.
7. The clandestine introduction of un-approved technology and operational processes that challenges, and aims to undermine the approved TSA technology and operational design.